module error

Brecht Vermeulen Brecht.Vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Tue Oct 8 17:51:18 EDT 2002

Hi,

> I have a problem with compiling the click kernel module. My kernel is 2.4.9
> and I used the right kernel patch. If I use /sbin/insmod click.o, I get the
> following output:
>
> click.o: unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy
> Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license and it
> has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for assistance, only they
> can help you.

and you are sure that you are running the kernel compiled with the click
patch and that you compiled click while that kernel was running (and that
you also build everything starting from a clean tree) ?

We don't use the 2.4.9 kernel, but the 2.2.19 kernel, because of
performance problems with 2.4.9 (but it worked).

I'm not sure why the unresolved symbol pops up. (have you compiled the
kernel for the right processor ?) Maybe the other click people can help.

> If I use './click-install click.o' then I get the following output:
>
> click.o:1: syntax error near '\177'
> click.o:1: syntax error near '^A'
> click.o:1: syntax error near '^A'
> click.o:1: syntax error near '^A'

well, this is not the right way to use click-install. The argument should
be a router config file (as e.g. in the conf/ directory) and click-install
will load click.o if necessary.

This is the same as manually doing an insmod and a cat routerconfig >
/proc/click/config approximately.

regards,
Brecht