RTT calculations

Arvind Venkatesan venkaa at cs.rpi.edu
Thu Mar 7 17:53:08 EST 2002

Let me state my problem more clearly.

The later part of my click config file looks like this:

Myelement -> EtherEncap() -> ToDevice();

In MyElement I calculate the recd time of the packet by using its
timestamp annotation.
	When I send this packet out from MyElement, I start my clock to
count the next RTT.
The packet goes through EtherEncap and ToDevice before it Really gets on
the wire.
I somehow have to account for this error!
		The Average RTT for my experiments is about 20 ms (my
machines are quite close to each other.
But sometime I see RTT as high as 900 ms. Is ToDevice() contributing to
this?
How much can it delay the sending of a packet, assuming that the line is
100 Mbps.
And the data rate that is coming into the router is about 10 Mbps. (My
router is running on
700Mhz pentium 3 machine).

Thanks a lot!

-arvind