High CPU usage and latency problem

julian at precisium.com.au julian at precisium.com.au
Wed Mar 6 03:51:43 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm running user level CLICK 1.2.3 on FreeBSD 4.4 on a 1.2GHZ CPU.
After a minute or two of running, I get extremely large and variable
latencies - up to thousands of ms. The router is being used on an ADSL link
and is generally only dealing with a few hundred Kbps.
I tried simplifying my config but nothing seemed to fix it.

The CPU usage seems to hit about 99% after roughly 90 seconds of running.
This happens even with a bare config containing just an AddressInfo element.

Is this high CPU usage likely to be causing the latency or is this normal?

Thanks for any tips,

Regards,
Julian