Simple click config is VERY slow on our system; also the PollDevice doesn't work on our tulip.

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Fri Mar 1 17:31:37 EST 2002

> I removed all of the classifiers and the results are exactly the same.
>
> Interestingly, my experiments indicate that IPClassifiers work fine on
> unstripped Packets.

IPClassifier works fine as long as the packet has an IP header annotation,
whether or not the Ethernet header is still there. Normally, the IP header
annotation comes from a MarkIPHeader or CheckIPHeader element. You don't
have those elements, so your IP header annotation probably has a
semi-random value. (In particular, the *beginning* of the annotation is set
correctly, because Linux knew the length of the Ethernet header, but the
*end* of the annotation might be completely wrong; and non-IP packets like
ARP are being treated as IP.) I don't think that this is causing your
problem. Nevertheless, you should do something like:

FromDevice(eth1) -> c :: Classifier(12/0800 /* catches IP packets only */,
			            - /* all others */)
		 -> CheckIPHeader(, 14)
		 -> cc :: IPClassifier(.....)
		 -> etc.