Best Click Linux distribution?

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Fri Mar 1 08:25:44 EST 2002

Hi Joe,

> If I use click module with polling interface on tulip and do the same 100K pkts
> I get far less. I was hoping for a BIG improvement.
>
> # cat > /proc/click/config
> FromLinux(joe0, 10.0.0.1/8) -> Idle;
> FromDevice(eth1, 1) -> Print(ok) -> ToLinuxSniffers(joe0);

mmm, for polling you need to use PollDevice instead of FromDevice and I
think the Print(ok) does also insert a big delay if you do this for each
packet (logging to syslog).

> # tcpdump -npi joe0 -w dump.bin
> tcpdump: listening on joe0
> 33045 packets received by filter (around 65% loss)
>
> Any ideas? How can I just count packets recieved by click ?

simply use counter, it will also calculate the rate for you.

Just use e.g. PollDevice(eth1,1) -> Counter -> ToLinuxSniffers();

We are also interested in your results, so if you could post something
if you have interesting (faster :-) ) results. I have tried the same but
only on a singleprocessor for now (multiprocessor would be done in a few
weeks) and there I thought indeed the click-tcpdump was slower because
click takes all processing power.

regards,
Brecht