packet processing

powell molleti powelllinux at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 17 05:37:49 EDT 2002

hi,

--- liuzhuty at sina.com wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for your help last time.
> I know the processing of packet begins from a config
> file,

The above statement is not corrent. config file
defines
the flow of packets. The processing is done in each
element. each element is a C++ class and has
set of methods for processing packets.

> but where is the function main() in the source
> code when it run in linux kernel.

i think u should know this before ,linux kernel
modules do not have any single main function.

when a module is loaded init_module is called
and when a module in unloaded cleanup_module is
called.

> May I get the
> working flow of packet processing or some advices
> about it to make the reading of source code easier?

read the FAQ and the programming manual.

> When a config file is given, Is the processing of
> packet is fixed, and is it possible the different
> processing of different packet is existing at the
> same time?

do u have a running machine with click as a kernel
module?. get one machine up and write a few config
files that will be the start, this u can easily do
after reading edd's thesis. now read the FAQ and look
into each elements source and from there u will know
where to go. Use the programming manual to understand
some aspects of it.

cya
powell