System calls in click

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Wed Jun 5 10:03:32 EDT 2002

Hi Shweta,

> 	Thanks so much for your help. How much time do you think it takes to
> execute a system call through click?

If I understand you right -- generally people don't call this a "system
call", although it is a call to the system() library function. A system
call goes straight to the kernel. The system() library function forks a
process, which then starts up, .... pretty expensive.

If you need to do this quicker, I would look at the code for iwconfig and
implement the actual _system calls_ that it makes. (Probably a couple
ioctl()s.) That way you avoid process forking overhead.