Running Click in Emulab

Arvind Venkatesan venkaa at cs.rpi.edu
Sat Jun 1 23:05:55 EDT 2002

Hello everybody,

I guess it would be helpful to share this piece of information with
everyone who wants to use click in emulab.

First of all I think this link would be useful:
http://www.emulab.net/auth.html

You receive an account on the users' master host "users.emulab.net", and
from there you access the nodes (say through ssh)
that you will be using for your experiment. As Eddie pointed out, you
can provide your own OS images.
As you all know, Click (Kernel module) needs a patched kernel, so you
would need to make an OS image yourself.
You will need to put this image in the users' master host
"users.emulab.net" acct.

Note: You have very restricted permissions in this account. You can
either create an OS image in your labs
and upload it to this acct or you can create an image in either of the
nodes (that you have reserved for the experiment) that you would be
using for your experiment and move it to this acct.

To begin an experiment use the web interface.
There you can specify the topology of the experiment, what OS image you
want to boot the nodes with, etc.

Within each node you need to put the click distribution. Go through the
standard installation procedures.
Run configure, gmake blah blah and then you are all set to
run Click Experiments on Emulab.

Hope this helps.

-arvind

ps: You can also choose your own IP addresses for the nodes.
You would obviously need to change your config files (The EtherEncap()
line..) in the emulab
since the ethernet addresses would be different there.