skput - kernel panic

powell molleti powelllinux at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 04:26:40 EST 2002

Hi again,

 seems like i m spamming the list sorry!.

 The below errors seem to because of my bad
 code. I fixed that and now it seems to work
 fine but after some time i m getting
 the skput:over kernel panic again.

 Can anyone point me a documentation or
 briefly tell me why this panic occurs.

 i have seen the source of skb_over_panic but
 i wanna know why this happens.

 btw sometimes before this error comes up i get
 a chatter message as :
 IP header check failed: tiny packet , i think
 this is from CheckIPHeader() is it?
 and then the panic follows immediately.

 If anyone has got this error before and got over
 it , please let me know.

 thanks
 cya
 powell
--- powell molleti <powelllinux at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Seems like my element is send a bad packet to
>   ToDevice and which is calling skb_put which calls
>   the inlined skb_over_panic.
>
>   I have cleaned up the stuff. But i m facing
>   a diff problem now.
>
>   I m maintaining a buffer that buffer packets for
>   a brief time to make some decision. I m storing
>   the packet to the buffer as follows.
>
>   buff -> packet = (Packet *) p -> uniqueify().
>
>   When the decision is made i have to send the
> packet
>   and free the buff link that is having the packet.
>
>   So i have done the following to send:
>
>   Packet *p = (Packet *)Packet::make(p_tmp ->
>                                    steal_skb());
>
>    output(0).push(p);
>
>   When i do this seems like output(0).push(p) is
>   working but when i tried to free the buff , click
>   is crashing.
>
>   The ksymoops output is :
>
>   Code;  c812cefb <[click].text.end+8924/9ca9>
>    d:   68 f4 0c 16 c8            push   $0xc8160cf4
> Code;  c812cf00 <[click].text.end+8929/9ca9>
>   12:   e8 3b 00 00 00            call   52
> <_EIP+0x52> c812cf40 <[click].text.end+8969/9ca9>
>

>   So i tried another make method as follows.
>

>   Packet *p = (Packet *) Packet::make(hroom, data,
> len,
>                                       troom);
>
>   When i do this output(0).push(p) is not executing
>   and click is crashing with a oops report that i
>   not able to figure out.
>
>   I m pasting a few lines from the ksymoops report:
>
> Code;  c80ec2d8

<[click]unparse_type__Q28IPFilter9Primitiveii+378/8b4>
>    b:   0f b7 01                  movzwl (%ecx),%eax
> Code;  c80ec2db

<[click]unparse_type__Q28IPFilter9Primitiveii+37b/8b4>
>    e:   66 89 43 08               mov
> %ax,0x8(%ebx)
> Code;  c80ec2df

<[click]unparse_type__Q28IPFilter9Primitiveii+37f/8b4>