More on IPv6/IPv4 translator...

Juan Luis Baptiste juancho at linuxmail.org
Thu Feb 28 15:26:58 EST 2002

Well, I did more testing and I got VERY strange results...

First of all I made another config file that uses two diferent interfaces as Eddie told me.

I still have the same setup:

win98(ipv4)--eth0 Translator eth1--(ipv6)NetBSD1.5.2

First I ping6 ::172.25.0.3 from 3ffe:1ce1:2:0:200::2. Like before, the packet gets translated but the translator responds to 172.25.0.3 with a destination unreachable message and the echo reply never comes back to ipv6 host. But in the capture now there's a new and extrange packet sent by the translator, with Protocol type SLL (info says "Sent by us" (who???)) and source address the MAC address of one of the two interfaces of the translator, but  with no destination.
That was the first strange thing, now the second. I then started tcpdump in the ipv6 host to see if it was receiving the neighboor adverticement messages from the translator, and bang!!! the echo reply packets started appearing in the ipv6 host!!! but the capture in ethereal in the translator remained the same (no echo reply coming out from the translator to the ipv6 host).
tcpdump in the ipv6 host showed that for every echo request there was arriving an echo reply. This wasn't a coincidence, I rebooted the ipv6 host multiple times and did the same test 3-4 times with the same result. But after I rebooted and before I started tcpdump on the ipv6 host, I realized that click now even wasn't receiving packets via eth1 (the one connected to ipv6 host). I had to restart the network  in the translator to get eth1 working again and do the same test with tcpdump as before with the same strange result.
Then everything stopped working so I rebooted both machines and nothing happened . Some times it works some other not. I haven't been able to  figure out why.

If it is of relevance, I'm using two Realtek 8029 cards (NE2000 compatible) on the translator, and an integrated SiS in th e ipv6 host. The win98 is a laptop with a pcmcia card.

Here I send my new config file and the new capture in the translator.

Weird stuff huh???

Juan Luis