ToDevice v/s Linux

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Wed Feb 13 11:54:02 EST 2002

> 1. To what degree of reliability can I asume that Click is sending 'all'
> the packets out from the ToDevice element.
> 2. Has some measurements been done regarding how often this 'Worse' case
> happens ?

The documentation may be a little bit out of date here. In our experience,
the network device successfully sends each packet that ToDevice pulls from
its input. Remember also that the problem will only occur when Linux also
sends packets to the device. If Linux is relatively quiet (doesn't send
many packets to the device), there will not be much of a problem.

If you would like to know precisely how many packets ToDevice has dropped,
look for the `packets rejected' line in /proc/click/NAMEOFTODEVICE/calls .