click_chatter v/s performance

Douglas S. J. De Couto decouto at bellatlantic.net
Wed Apr 17 21:46:09 EDT 2002

well here is an anecdotal result, from userlevel.  we have a ~17 node
(computer) wireless network running a protocol written using click
userlevel.  every 1.3 secs or so, every node sends a routing update
packet.  each node logs every received routing packet (about 20 short
lines of data) to a chatter channel.  i.e. nothing gets printed unless
you connect to the chatter socket.  when we use netcat (nc) to dump the
chattersocket output to a file on every node, throughput on the network
drops by aout 50%.  this is on celeron boxes using aironet 11Mbps
wireless cards.

the best way to find out how your particular logging demand affect
performance is to try it out.  if you have a problem, work on reducing
your logging overhead.  for example, i have managed to reduce our
protocol logging byte-overhead by almost 2 orders of magnitude by
switching to a binary format.  i also switched from using the chatter
socket to using write() to dump data directly to the filesystem,
avoiding the overhead of the network stack and anothe rprogram (nc)
dumping the data.  this is all in preparation for logging on ipaqs (200
MHz strongarm)....

Douglas S. J. De Couto   decouto at lcs.mit.edu