Network Interfaces

Arvind Venkatesan venkaa at cs.rpi.edu
Thu Nov 29 18:15:03 EST 2001

> Haven't seen such behaviour yet. So, I assume that you're using 3 PC's,
> 2 senders and 1 router ?

Yes. This issue struck me because in my project I was using eth2 for
data packets and eth1 for control packet and I observed that
the control packet was processed by the router after
processing quite a lot of data packets(around 1.2MB) (with RTT for
control packet around 6ms and the rate of data packets sent to the Router
being 7 MBps).
	To investigate this issue I set up the following
experiment:

Router

FromDevice(eth1) -> Print(Frometh1) -> Discard();
FromDevice(eth2) -> Print(Frometh2) -> Discard();

Sender 1 and Sender 2

udpgen.click that comes with the click package.
I set the rates to 1 Packet/sec in both.

It was surprising to see that Frometh2 was being printed more often!!

I will try using Counter instead of Print and
see if there is any change in observation.

Thanks!

-arvind