Virtual Interfaces.. (fwd)

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Wed Nov 28 00:27:07 EST 2001

Hi Jean-Francois,

Very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

> How would be the click way to handle virtual interfaces in click: i have
> actually wroten GreEncap and GreDecap elements, but i need to hook this
> with an interface to route properly the traffic in and out of this
> interface and to check the validity of the Gre packet (to avoid loops,
> etc.., cf RFC).

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. You might want to try
writing again with more detail. You want an element with one input and one
output. Where do packets go when they are sent to the input? What about
packets emitted from the output -- where would they come from? Basically,
how is the element different from Null?

I would _not_ likely use AnyDevice to handle virtual interfaces. It's
specialized for handling actual devices.

We've always thought of a virtual interface as just a collection of
elements that emulated what that "tunnel" did.

Maybe other people on the list have a better conception.

> Another point is the existance of this interface in the linux dev table,
> how should this be handled ?

FromLinux provides an example for how to handle this.