generating click configs with cpp. Classifier?

Douglas S. J. De Couto decouto at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Nov 7 08:26:13 EST 2001

Eddie Kohler wrote:

> Well, one thing would be to add a Click tool that replaced $variables with
> values specified on the command line, or in files. You'd want a Click tool
> so that you didn't have to deal with alpha-renaming of compound element
> arguments.

well, another tool is *okay*, but the click tools are too big really.
at least for me.  e.g. my grid-ipaq package is about 1meg, 300k for
click-align, and 600k for the click-mindriver.  so as it is now i am
thinking of punting the click-align, and manually adding align els to
the config.

i know, this size obsession is a unique problem, and will probably go
away even on the ipaq in e.g. 1 or 2 years.

it turns out cpp is only ~70k, so i can still use that...

> Alternatively, you could use 'click-flatten' to flatten out the
> configuration first, then pass it through a simple sed or awk script that
> replaced $variables with values. Click leaves $variable syntax as is unless
> that variable was set.
>
> What do you think?

again, using another click-tool... too big...

my goal is to produce only one config file that i have to edit/debug/fix
etc., and to minimize the manual installation steps required to turn
that file into a runnable click config.  so i try to make all the config
processing occur at click runtime from my startup scripts...

well thanks for the suggestions

Douglas S. J. De Couto    decouto at lcs.mit.edu