run time reconfiguration (fwd)

Prem Gopalan prem at mazunetworks.com
Tue Nov 6 23:12:58 EST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:04:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Prem Gopalan <prem at mazunetworks.com>
To: Puneet Zaroo <zaroo at cs.purdue.edu>
Cc: gopalapk at cs.purdue.edu
Subject: Re: run time reconfiguration

Hi Puneet,
	I happen to be on the click mailing list too. Here is my try at
replying to your question:

> I am trying to build a run time reconfigurable click element(say X).
> On receiving a control packet the element X increases its number of
> inputs by calling the add_input() method.
> The problem i face is that the input port created has the processing
> type set to "pull" whereas i want a "push" port.

If you look into "class Port (element.hh v 1.2.1)", there are both push()
and pull()  methods. I think a port as such does not carry PULL or PUSH
properties (otherwise we would have wierd combinations like input PUSH and
output PULL for the same element). So when you dynamically create ports
they will all take the property of the element which can be
push/pull/agnostic.

> Is there any way i can control the processing type of the port created.
> The const char *processing() method for element X returns PUSH.Therefore
> the original input ports (not created dynamically) have their type
> correctly set to "push".

Prem.