[click] paper help

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Mon Nov 5 22:40:06 EST 2001

Hi all,

We are thinking of writing a paper for this year's OPENARCH conference
(International Conference on Open Systems and Network Programming). It will
have the following title and abstract (or something close):

Surprisingly Useful Modular Router Components

	Some open systems are surprisingly useful: they prove convenient
	for things other than their intended purpose. These systems can be
	domain-specific, but not too narrowly, since close ties to a
	particular application prevent broad applicability. We present some
	aspects of the Click modular router [?] that we've found
	surprisingly useful, and general properties of Click that made
	surprises possible. Particular elements include network address
	translation, trace processing, and control communication with other
	programs; general properties include the distinction between push
	and pull processing and the presence of both dataflow and
	non-dataflow communication mechanisms.

We'll include some of the userlevel uses of Click, like trace processing
and Grid; the IPRewriter element family; and some other stuff.

Well -- do you, Click's user base, have anything else? Have you found any
elements, or Click features, to be "surprisingly useful"? We'd love to
know! Please send your thoughts in to this mailing list,
click at pdos.lcs.mit.edu.

Thanks,
Eddie Kohler