Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Thu May 24 16:18:45 EDT 2001

FYI, I misspoke:

> FromDevice emits packets AFTER packet sniffers (such as tcpdump) get a copy
> of the packet. PollDevice emits packets BEFORE packet sniffers get the
> packet.

This wasn't quite right. FromDevice does emit packets BEFORE packet
sniffers. However, FromDevice emits packets AFTER things like the
'diverter' (CONFIG_NET_DIVERT) and 'bridge' (CONFIG_BRIDGE,
CONFIG_BRIDGE_MODULE). PollDevice emits packets BEFORE anything else.

My suggestion is that FromDevice should happen BEFORE packet sniffers,
diverter, and bridge; AND that ToLinux should send packets to packet
sniffers, diverter, bridge, and normal processing.

(Right now on Linux 2.2, ToLinux sends only to packet sniffers and normal
processing, NOT diverter and bridge.)

Predicted probability that any of this will ever be relevant to anyone: .03

l,md