Graphical user interface for Click

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Thu May 24 01:38:12 EDT 2001

Dear Click'ers,

At the Ghent University, we have developed a Graphical User Interface
for the Click modular router on the Linux platform.
See a screenshot in attachment. It is possible to draw configurations,
change configurations, e.g. via the
properties of an element (the handlers). Also interesting features are
that you can access the man-page, as a Java application you can also
save the setup to a text file in the Click language or save postscript
picture of the layout.

This is ideally suited to experiment with new configurations, e.g. for
QoS experiments.

The GUI is developed in Java and can be used both as application or as
dynamically downloadable applet (which works with Netscape on
Linux/Windows/Solaris and Internet Explorer on Windows).

On the Linux router, a CORBA C++ server is running (and eventually a
webserver if you want to use the applet) and the Java application/applet
communicates via CORBA (TCP/IP) with this C++ server.

If you think this is interesting to publish (and maybe continue the
development) as Open Source, we want to contribute.

If you want to, we could also open up our firewall so you could test the
GUI remote (only provide us with your IP address, or the address of your
proxy server, and after next Monday because we still have a
demonstration :-) ).

However, there are still some questions :
- would it be published as an extension to Click on the Click homepage
or would we have an own homepage and provide links on both sites ?
- you use a MIT license method - what is exactly the difference with GPL
and how should this GUI be published then ?
- some packaging problems : as CORBA is needed, there is need for a
CORBA implementation (it works with C++ omniORB/Orbacus/TAO and the Java
side needs Orbacus), so these are needed to compile and run the beast.
E.g. Orbacus is free software for educational use, but not for
commercial use (and the Java side uses Orbacus, however it should be
possible to port these to a free Java ORB, but this is not yet tried).
What would you propose about this ? There is also still some work to do
to package it up, so the release wouldn't be for tomorrow :-).

For any extra information, you can contact me.

best regards,
Brecht