[click] ConsoleSocket or ClickConsole

Douglas S. J. De Couto decouto at lcs.mit.edu
Thu Mar 22 21:29:52 EST 2001

here's an element i want to make for userlevel:  call it
ConsoleSocket.  like ControlSocket, it listens for connections.  when
connected to it echoes any click messages (error, debug, chatter,
whatever) to the listening client.

why?  my click configurations for grid spit out lots of diganostics,
and there isn't really a console on the ipaq or a lot of filesystem
space to keep them.  furthermore, when starting click i pipe its
ouptut to /dev/null so i can actually use the serial console.  this
way i can just e.g. ``nc localhost 7778'' to see what's coming out of
click.  or spit it into a gui, etc.

what it needs: i need to add a hook into the printing functions that
let the ConsoleSocket element receive the msgs that would be printed.

things i was thinking about instead of making an elements: just piping
click to e.g. nc.  but if noone is listening, click blocks.  so then i
though i would write a line copy program that always reads, and
doesn't block if noone is listening.  but then fuck it, netcat will
hangup after the first listener goes away anyway so i would have to
write a server anyway.  and you might just want to spit click
output onto a terminal while making it available somewhere else too!

i'll poke around and see where i can add a printing hook.  let me know
if you have prefences eddie!

Douglas S. J. De Couto    decouto at lcs.mit.edu