Problems with ToLinux element

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Fri Jun 22 11:05:52 EDT 2001

Hi Andre,

> I was confused by the fact that not all the To"xxx" have the same kind of
> input ports.

Yes -- that is a little confusing. Maybe we should make ToLinux agnostic,
so it can function as either push or pull.

> Why is it that not all the elements work in the kernel-mode or in the
> user-level?
> To me it is a little bit confusing.

Because there are things that you can do in the kernel that are impossible,
or very difficult, to do at user level, and vice versa.

For example, maintaining a TCP connection is easy at user level, but
difficult in the kernel. Or: only in the kernel can you manipulate the
device table by adding a fake device (as FromLinux does).

The element manual pages should clearly state if they work only in one
driver or the other.

> Another question: Is there a possibility to "include" files in the script
> file
> that contains all kind of "defines" (like C(++))?

While the Click language doesn't have direct support for this, you *can*
pass a Click file through CPP. (Click will accept the "# line" comments
that result.) THne you can just use "#include ...".

Generally the #included files contain compound element declarations. Read
"man 5 click" for more information about those.

love,
ed