Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters working !

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Mon Jun 18 12:55:55 EDT 2001

I'm back from vacation!!!!!!! I got tan!!!!!!!!!! It was awesome!!!!!!!!

That aside --

> Are you unloading e1000 while click is loaded into the kernel?  If so,
> does the Click configuration refer (w/ To, From, or PollDevice) to the
> e1000 device?

Probably Click should not crash the kernel when this happens. (When someone
loads or unloads a device on which Click depends.)

It seems like the best way to get around this problem is Linux's NETDEV_UP
and NETDEV_DOWN notifier chains. These are called when an interface goes up
or down, respectively. Each of the *Device elements could listen for
down/up events and behave appropriately. That would also mean people could
swap interface cards without killing the Click configuration.

What do people think? Is this a good way to solve the problem?

love,
ed