Possible bug?

Young Wei Kuan ICM CA MS MI E5 Extern WK.Young.extern at icn.siemens.de
Wed Jul 11 12:15:15 EDT 2001

Hi Eddie,

I am using click-1.2.1 for kernel-2.2.18. I encountered something unusual
when I was adding a new element to the Click router.

I wrote a new element and followed the instructions in the FAQ to add a new
element. The element worked fine. However,after I made some changes to my
source code, I did a 'make install' to reinstall the new element. The
changes did not take effect. I had to delete /userlevel/libclick.a and then
do a 'make install' for the changes to take effect. An alternative is to do
a 'make clean' and then a 'make install'.

Why can't I simply do a 'make install' since make is supposed to recompile
only the changes and save time? It is time-consuming and cumbersome to do a
'make clean' or delete libclick.a first and then a 'make install'.

I hope I am the only person to encounter this inconvenience, otherwise it
could be a bug.

Kind regards
Wei Kuan