Very strange measurements

Brecht Vermeulen Brecht.Vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Fri Jul 6 10:07:51 EDT 2001

I've tried now with setting #define DRIVER_ITER_LINUXSCHED  4096
in routerthread.cc but no change. (I hope this was the correct thing to
schedule linux less, Benjie ?)

> Brecht, more information, if you can? Can you run the PollDevice with its
> profiling on (CLICK_DEVICE_STATS #defined), and tell us the results
> (returned by "calls" handler)? Is PollDevice slower, or the device driver?

there's a word ambiguity here (:-) ) what do you mean by 'device driver'
a simple ToDevice ?

The results with PollDevice (when setting LINUXSCHED to 4096) :
8183407 packets received
0 cycles poll
0 cycles refill
0 cycles allocskb
0 cycles pushing
0 perfctr1 poll
0 perfctr1 refill
0 perfctr1 allocskb
0 perfctr1 pushing
0 perfctr2 poll
0 perfctr2 refill
0 perfctr2 allocskb
0 perfctr2 pushing
978070641 empty polls
8168307 activations

or when putting still more things on :
438520 packets received
2210642777 cycles poll
41250394 cycles refill
159186084 cycles allocskb
1376208299 cycles pushing
0 perfctr1 poll
0 perfctr1 refill
0 perfctr1 allocskb
0 perfctr1 pushing
0 perfctr2 poll
0 perfctr2 refill
0 perfctr2 allocskb
0 perfctr2 pushing
26965347 empty polls
438506 activations

If I use FromDevice, then the delays are

10%	20%	30%
29us	45us	40us

so quite nice, however from 40Mbit on, a lot of frames are dropped (no
polling :-) ), but still slower than the 500 MHz.

Some other things I need to test ?

regards,
Brecht