Modifying rated source

Werner Raetscher werner.raetscher at mchp.siemens.de
Tue Jul 3 16:51:48 EDT 2001

Hello Eddie,

I need for my measurements an UDP packet generator which is able to set
the current timestamp in the packet (not the click annotation) in order
to measure the delay between sender and receiver. Because there is no
such click element available yet I intend to modify the RatedSource
element and write the timestamp which I get with the
click_gettimeofday(&now) after a conversion to a string as a packet
payload instead of the default string data in RatedSource::configure().
My question: is this data string read for each new created packet? What
I mean: if I put the timestamp in the packet->data() is it updated for
each packet or do all packets have the same data string? What do you
think generally about this idea? What element could I use on the
receiver side for reading the packet stamp (e.g. Print)?

Regards,
Werner