eepro100 problems

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Aug 9 18:38:37 EDT 2001

> I'm using a 800MHZ machine with linux kernel version 2.2.18 and Intel
> eepro100 interface.
> When using fastudpsrc.click or udpgen.click, I keep receiving an infinite
> list of "eth0: start_xmit while polling" errors...
> When I remove the error notification from the device driver source the click
> configurations are working, but hanging the computer after awhile.

It seems like something is trying to transmit packets out via the eth0
interface from the kernel while Click is transmitting packets in polling
mode at the same time.  The eepro100 driver doesn't deal very well with
this (I'm not even sure if any other drivers deal well with this.)  Can
you check if this is what's happening?

To avoid this problem, you might try not assigning an IP address to the
interface after you bring it up with "ifconfig eth0 up", so the kernel
doesn't try to send IP packets over it.

-- kolya