pop quiz: icmp ping & linux

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Wed Apr 25 19:19:00 EDT 2001

Douglas,

> i did read the rfc, and it leads me to believe that it does not matter
> what byte order the sequence number and id are in.  however, i am
> sniffing packets from another machine, and trying to look at the
> sequence numbers.  in fact, IPPrint will give you the sequence/id
> numbers; it rund them through ntohs().

there is no standard for it, the senders could also invent new byte
orders (or bit orders) or send numbers which have no meaning or e.g. in
reverse order.

If you sniff them, then you have to know the details of the sending
program to interpret them, I think.

IPPrint cannot print out the information in an always useful way I think
due to the ambiguity.

It can only say in its man page how it prints them so that a user knows
how to interpret the output.
(as your first mail says about FreeBSD and Linux)

regards,
Brecht