fast udp generator

Robert Morris rtm at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Apr 19 07:39:58 EDT 2001

Werner,

We used Click to generate UDP packets. Click is good for this because
it does not need to cross between user and kernel space and it avoids
interrupts by polling the device hardware.

Here's a reasonable Click configuration for sending Ethernet packets
out eth0 quickly:

FastUDPSource(RATE, COUNT, 60, SRCETH, SRCIP, 1001,
              DSTETH, DSTIP, 1002, 1)
  -> ToDevice(eth0);
PollDevice(eth0) -> Discard;

You want to change RATE to the number of packets per second you want,
COUNT to the total number of packets you want, SRCETH to the source
ethernet address (e.g. 1:2:3:4:5:6), SRCIP to the source IP address
(e.g. 10.0.0.1), and DSTETH and DSTIP to the destination Ethernet and
IP addresses.

This Click configuration can generate 60-byte packets at the maximum
possible 100-megabit Ethernet rate on our 450 mHz PCs; that's about
148,000 packets per second. With Intel gigabit ethernet devices and a
800 mHz PC Click can send 1,000,000 60-byte packets per second.

Robert