Joe Elliott: Re: click-1.0.1 released

Eddie Kohler eddietwo at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Feb 29 07:52:30 EST 2000

------- Forwarded Message

From: Joe Elliott <joe at home.inetd.com>
Subject: Re: click-1.0.1 released
To: eddietwo at cag.lcs.mit.edu (Eddie Kohler)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:33:26 -0800 (PST)
Cc: elliott at sgi.com

Hi Eddie,
	I have the new version 1.0.1 compiled and installed. I am glad
I could help you debug your install. What I really need though is some help
to get my project running.

Quick questions...
1) Must I use only DEC tulip cards for click to run?
2) Do you have the conf file for using click as a basic router with no frills
between 2 interfaces?
3) How do I then insert my user level process to decide what packets get passed
or dropped and/or modified?

I have 2 projects that I want to use click for:

Initially I want to use click to playback recordings from tcpdump
recording files. i.e. I record a 1 minute session from a network with
tcpdump (to a file) and then play it back in my lab thro my eth0 interface.
I can then use this method to reproduce network problems.

Is this possible with click? If not, is there another method I can use to
create traffic on my net from a recorded tcpdump file? I need busy traffic
recorded from an ISP to be repeatedly played back in my remote lab.

Then I want to use click in a bridge configuration. ie a linux host with
2 ethernet cards. This is placed on a flat LAN between a server farm and
the enduser hosts. I want to filter the traffic across the bridge in
both directions. If possible I would like the packets to be passed to a
user level process for analysis and if I decide, written to output stream.

This way I can control the flow of data across the bridge in both directions.
The bridge making the device transparent to the network.
The user level process is a complex program that required complete control
of packets across the bridge.

I am interested in your module that circumvents promiscuous mode. Anymore
examples/info you have on how I read write to the raw devices would be
appreciated.

I would be very grateful if you can assist me in configuring click to
do these tasks. I know you are very busy. Please let me know what I
can do to help. Info in the form of cheat sheets (ie the actual commands
you typed to get it working) are the best for me.

Is there someone on the project I could speak to on the phone for 10 minutes
to ask some high level questions? This could save a lot of time.

Your project is very interesting to me. I was a big fan of the SGI
router based on Indy hardware. The potential of a linux based system
if very interesting to me.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Joe Elliott.

According to Eddie Kohler:

>------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0
>
>Hi,
>
>First, welcome to the click-announce mailing list. We will use this mailing
>list only to announce Click software releases and other important Click
>things, and expect low traffic (averaging 1 message a week). If you would
>like to be removed, please send mail to <click at pdos.lcs.mit.edu>.
>
>Now for the announcement: It turns out the Linux module included with
>click-1.0 did not compile. We have fixed this Makefile bug and released
>version 1.0.1, available at
>+ * Fixed Makefile bugs; Linux module installs properly now. Problem reported
>+   by Joe Elliott <joe at inetd.com>.

- --
 Im a 21st Century Digital Boy ... I aint got a life, but I got lotsa toys.
 *******************     Joe Elliott  joe at inetd.com    ********************
                                Inetd Inc.
        Phone:(650)961-6631 http://www.inetd.com FAX:(650)938-2524