"Dan S. Decasper": Re: The Click Modular Router

Robert Morris rtm at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Oct 26 14:30:01 EDT 1999

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:11:36 -0500
To: Robert Morris <rtm at cag.lcs.mit.edu>
From: "Dan S. Decasper" <dan at arl.wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: The Click Modular Router

Robert,

so let me see if I understand what you are doing.

You say your code compiles into a kernel module. I guess this module
contains the C++-classes for all elements you support. You load that
module. You then create a configuration script (e.g., Figure 7) and write
to /proc/click/config. This creates an instance of a click router in the
Linux kernel. Is this correct?

I particularly like your interface definitions (the port business) and the
C++ abstraction layer. One problem we had with Router Plugins as people
outside our group started using it was that they have to know too many
details. So we are thinking about how we can raise the level of
abstraction. Looks like your work could be inspiring.

You did not say much on future work. What are your plans?

Again, I very much enjoyed reading your paper!

- -Dan

------- End of Forwarded Message