meeting?

John Jannotti jj at lcs.mit.edu
Mon Mar 22 17:09:15 EST 1999

Do you guys want to meet tomorrow?  I've worked most of the old ipb
stuff into the new framework, but have a few questions.

Suppose I have:
 faction 0: dumpreader - push
 faction 1: wire - push
 faction 2: queue - push-to-pull
 faction 3: wire - pull
 faction 4: print - pull

How is the print faction supposed to work?  Should it just constantly
return true from ready() and thereby poll the queue through the second
wire?  I think the key here is just that we don't have anything for
directly supporting faster outputs than inputs in the current driver
without polling.  I also think such a thing might be easier to add if
we went back to the "1-call-depth" driver model (since state is more
explicit then), but I'm not completely sure of that.

What is out stance on when factions are connected to different
input/output number?  I know we've talked about only using different
inputs for different semantic meanings, such as within ARP, but I'd
like to connect each input of the etherswitch to a different input.
Does that sound reasonable?

Do 10/100 ethernet switches have buffers for going from 100 down to
10?

  jj