SOSP award papers

John Wilkes wilkes at hplajw.hpl.hp.com
Mon Dec 20 20:59:50 EST 1999

Congratulations on being selected for an award paper at SOSP!

Here's what's going to happen next:

 * We will add an annotation to the SOSP "final program" web page
   indicating your paper's special status.

 * You are welcome to annotate your bibliographies (and resumes!) with
   something like "Selected as one of four best-in-conference papers
   by the SOSP program committee".

 * I am forwarding this email to Larry Peterson (TOCS
   editor-in-chief), so he knows who to talk to.

 * Assuming you wish to take advantage of the opportunity for the TOCS
   fast-track publication review process (and I encourage you to do
   so!), then you should submit a version of your paper to him.  Info
   on the submission process should be available at:

	  http://www.acm.org/tocs/

 * Because the hope is to bundle all the SOSP-derived papers into one
   special issue, Larry will presumably have some deadlines in mind. I
   trust he'll communicate them to all of us.

 * At Larry's request, I will send him the reviews - these are
   intended for his eyes only, and to provide some guidance in
   helping to select the additional reviewers that TOCS requires.
   They will NOT be treated as reviews of your final paper.

Here is the list of award papers:
----
Manageability, availability and performance in Porcupine: a
highly-scalable, cluster-based mail service
     Yasushi Saito, Brian N. Bershad, Henry M. Levy
     (University of Washington)

Cellular Disco: resource management using virtual clusters on
shared-memory multiprocessors
     Kinshuk Govil, Dan Teodosiu*, Yongqiang Huang, Mendel Rosenblum
     (Stanford University and *HP Laboratories)

The Click modular router
     Robert Morris, Eddie Kohler, John Jannotti, M. Frans Kaashoek
     (MIT Laboratory for Computer Science)

Soft timers: efficient microsecond software timer support for network
processing
     Mohit Aron, Peter Druschel
     (Rice University)
----

Once again - thank you for all your hard work.   You should be very
pleased with the result.
  john

p.s. Larry: FYI, at 9pm Monday 20th PST, the TOCS web site wasn't
working... it just hung, and never produced any output.