[chord] Dealing with bad nodes

obn.chord obn.chord at offbynull.com
Wed Mar 13 00:20:04 EDT 2013

Does anyone know of any strategies to prevent, identify, or work-around
malicious nodes in the chord overlay?

A couple of examples ...

1. Imagine someone wanted to prevent others from accessing a key-value
pair. They could create a node and have the id be set to hash(key).
Then, when others query that key, the node would simply ignore the query
or respond that the key doesn't exist.

2. This is similar to the one above. Imagine someone wanted to prevent
others from accessing a key-value pair, but a node already existed with
an id of hash(key). They could create a node and have the id be set to
hash(key) - 1. Then, when others ask to be routed to that key, the node
wouldn't respond with its successor.

3. Imagine someone wanted to cut out a portion of the nodes in the
overlay. They could simply add a node and adjust its finger table to
skip over a bunch of nodes.

I'm sure there are more scenarios, but I think these 3 are the most
obvious ones I can think of.