[chord] Can't insert folder - DHASH_ERR

Emil Sit sit at mit.edu
Wed Feb 1 09:19:53 EST 2012

Alex,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Alex Buie <abuie at kwdservices.com> wrote:
> I've tried changing the minimum sharding redundancy parameters with a
> custom dhash.conf as was suggested in a 2008 post to the mailing list.

I suspect that the problem is with writes of public key blocks. It's
probably broken and I don't have time to debug it any further.

> I was just playing around with CFS, trying to see how it works, and
> its feasibility as sort of a "distributed backup" system with some of
> my friends who have their own servers in multiple locations. We get
> less storage, but it's georedundant, in case someone accidentally
> lights one of our Datacenters on fire or something. :)

CFS is (was?) research software, as were all of the various derivative
projects.  I would not recommend that you use CFS for ensuring the
safety of your personal storage.

I'm sure you're aware of them, but there are numerous services that
you can consider, some of whom allow you to fully encrypt your files
prior to being uploaded to the "cloud" (like SpiderOak) and others
(such as CrashPlan) that allow you to back up data on your friend's
machines. However, I have not used any of these services so you'd have
to investigate them yourself.

Good luck.

--
Emil Sit / http://www.emilsit.net/