[chord] Chord compiling issues

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Mon May 19 14:00:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to run the chord implementation available in the website but
I'm facing some problems during compile time. So I thought that someone
here can give some tips concerning this.

I'm trying to compile it all in a Linux machine running the last Ubuntu
release, so (I hope) the tools here are updated.

-- The first issue that I noticed is a problem introduced by gcc 4.2.
I've seen a lot of warning followed by errors of these message bellow:

     "I deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char *'"

I just made some modifications (as shown here [0]) and this wasn't the
problem anymore.

-- Then I tried to compile using the Ubuntu's version of SFS, which
seems updated. Unfortunately the autoconf rules in the chord tarball
refused to use that version and some errors linking the library appeared.

-- So I dug a little more trying with the same chord snapshot of HOWTO
and the same SFS library version and the following error appeared:

location.C: In member function ‘void location::init()’:
location.C:26: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘void location::update_knownup()’:
location.C:80: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘time_t location::age()’:
location.C:94: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘void location::update(ptr<location>)’:
location.C:106: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘void location::update(chord_node)’:
location.C:126: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘char location::get_loss()’:
location.C:196: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C:198: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘void location::set_loss()’:
location.C:220: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C: In member function ‘void location::set_alive(bool)’:
location.C:228: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
location.C:238: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: ** [location.o] Erro 1
make[2]: Saindo do diretório
`/home/tiago/ufpr/mestrado/chord/chord-0.1/utils

So, anyone here has some compilation success with certain library and
chord version? I would stay very happy to provide you some patches and
help as needed.

Thank you,

[0] http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/courses/cs701/Writeable_Strings.html

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre