[chord] running dhash/chord on very few nodes (<10)

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 31 12:36:46 EST 2008

On Tue, 29 January 2008 at 07:28 (-0800), Alex Tumanov wrote:
> It immediately exits. I tried with the specification of -v {1,2,3,16}
> as well. Am I doing something wrong?

Er, look at lsd.log in your /tmp/$USER/dht directory, which should
give some clues.  My guess is that you are specifying a relative path
for dhash.conf but start-dhash has chdir'd into /tmp/$USER/dht so
the relative path is no longer correct.  Perhaps start-dhash
to grab an absolute path to avoid this problem.

> of DHT functionality. After all, you could have multiple threads in
> the same process talking to each other via sockets - that would be
> pretty close (although, admittedly, not identical) to current
> multi-daemon behavior.

Possibly.  At least start-dhash tries to hide most of the
complexity of getting all the bits of DHash to start correctly. :-)
I don't have the time right now to try and re-write stuff to use
threads.  If you have time, you can set up a local branch (just
"hg clone" off of our main repository and start committing locally)
and would review/accept patches that provide this functionality.

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/