[chord] Minimum of 2 hops?

Adam Brown ajbrowc at essex.ac.uk
Sun Apr 20 18:24:47 EDT 2008

Looking through data I obtained with the dbm it appears that fetching data
consistently requires one less hop than storing data, which I'm presuming is
because (as you mentioned previously) when fetching data the lookup path
only goes as far as the predecessor, whereas storing data goes all the way
to the required node, correct?

One thing I don't understand though, is why does the fetch lookup path
appear go to the required node (and not the predecessor) when there are only
2 hops required?

Here are my results of store and fetch operations:

When 2 hops are required for insertion:

Store: a2a6 / 6 / a1e8 a2d3

Fetch: a2a6 3 / 0 1 / 2 0 0 a1e8 a2d3 / 0

When 3 hops are required for insertion:

Store: a3a7 / 7 / a2d3 a3a5 a794

Fetch: a3a7 4 / 2 1 / 2 0 0 a2d3 a3a5 / 0

Could you also tell me what exactly takes place when running the store
operation, is it just a randomly generated key ID containing random bytes?