[chord] how to improve chord's load balance

istoica at EECS.Berkeley.EDU istoica at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu May 5 00:59:14 EDT 2005

William,

Besides an ID, a Chord node is uniquely identified
by an (IPaddress, port_number) pair. Thus, in theory,
one can run more than one Chord node on the same physical
machine. The term "virtual" is used to emphasize the fact
that more than one Chord node may run on the same machine.
All Chord implementations I'm aware of have the ability
to run multiple Chord nodes (i.e., virtual nodes) on
the same machine.

Note that while these implementations allow
multiple Chord nodes to run on the same machine, in
general, they are not optimized for this. An example
of such optimization would be to share the finger
tables of the co-located Chord nodes.

Hope this helps,

Ion