[chord] Information about Chord

philippe boddaert philippe.boddaert at u-picardie.fr
Tue Mar 8 09:03:11 EST 2005

Dear professors,

I'm currently student in France and I'd like to have some pieces of information
on your chord technical report.

1 - in the weakly stable network definition, it said that for all nodes u, we
have predecessor(successor(u)) = u. Does it mean that in a weakly network,
there is no node who is running the join procedure ?
Because, if a node v 's joining the network. it found its successor, said w
which predecessor is a node t. At this step, no node 's running stabilize() yet.
So, predecessor(successor(v)) = predecessor(w) = t and not v, so the network is
not weakly stable by definition.

2 - I don't really understand how can a network may reach in a loopy state ?

3 - During step of stabilization of loopy network, does a lookup really work?
Because, if we take the figure 8, page 20 of the technical report, which is a
loopy network and suppose that node N1,N21 or N48 lookups for Key 8. They will
find N14 as successor of key 8 while real successor of key 8 is node N8.

Thankfully,
Boddaert Philippe, student.