[chord] Chord and SIP

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 25 12:02:02 EST 2005

Alan,

On Tue, 25 January 2005 at 13:34 (+0000), Johnston, Alan wrote:
> opinion with others looking into P2P.  I had assumed that SIP could
> utilize the Chord protocol for discovery (use a SIP URI as a search key
> and get back the IP address of the node that has the current address of
> that URI) then run as normally.  However, others are proposing that the
> Chord DHT algorithm be run *over* SIP.  That is, messages between peers
> used to establish, modify, and query peers would be carried over SIP
> messages.

I don't think any of us are very familiar with SIP and its capabilities.

Chord provides a mechanism for providing rendezvous services
efficiently. If you needed, you could use Twine [1] for service
discovery.  Or you could build your own service to layer on top
of Chord so that you can provide the kinds of performance and
data availability that your application requires.

Whether Chord is run separately (for example, using our implementation)
or over SIP seems orthogonal to how it is used by an application.
I imagine there would be some loss of efficiency in running the Chord
protocols over SIP, depending on how things are encoded.

[1] http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/projects/twine/

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/