[chord] about VIS in the text mode:Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 8 23:51:38 EST 2005

On Fri, 09 December 2005 at 11:42 (+0800), wen winsen wrote:
> My linux is REDHAT 9 with TEXT mode and I don't install the Xwindows
> module.Must the GTK run in the X mode? If i run VIS in the text mode,what

Unfortunately, vis is a graphical tool and requires X.

You can approximate some of the features of vis in text mode with our
tools like 'nodeq' and 'walk', e.g.

	devel/walk -j host:port
	devel/nodeq host port vnodenum

but they are not quite as interactive as vis.  on the other hand,
they do offer some degree of detail not easily available in vis.

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/