[chord] Questions Using Chord

Brian Badillo bbadillo at vt.edu
Sun Oct 24 00:51:36 EDT 2004

I am a graduate student enrolled at Virginia Tech.  I am taking a course on
distributed systems.
This semester I have undertaken a project involving your peer-to-peer lookup
service.
I wanted to ask 3 things about Chord.

1. Where can I get started?
I've been perusing the CVS repository and can't find any comprehensive
documentation on the Chord API or examples to work off of.  If you could point
me to some examples of code that uses the Chord service I could model my
project after those.  Or if you could give me a quick rundown of what parts of
the files on the repository do what that could be helpful too.

2. What exactly do I need for the peer-to-peer lookup service and what stuff
is extra?
I found some things that I will probably not need for my project such as CFS
stuff, and some things that I'm not sure I need such as the Dhash stuff.

3. What happens when a node crashes unexpectedly and a request for a key on
the crashed node is made?  Does Chord acknowledge the failed node and return
the predecessor or is an error code given with nothing else or what?

Attached is my project proposal for the semester if you are interested.  It is
a distributed game titled Jail Break.
For the most part, I only need to set up the key space, transfer object data
from node to node, and lookup nodes with keys.

Thanks in advance
Brian Badillo