[chord] About dhash.

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Thu May 20 23:03:40 EDT 2004

Adrian,

On Fri, 21 May 2004 at 01:33 (+0300), adrian at softnet.tuc.gr wrote:
> I want to store a string dictionary in CHORD, like :
>     adrian  -> ad
>     john    -> jo
>
> Is it possible to be done without i hack any file of dhash
> or dhash library can store only files?

DHash is designed as a block store and can certainly
store short values like "adrian" or "jo".  You should
be able to use devel/type_tests.C as a guide to how to
store blocks using the dhashclient interface.  (Also check
dhash/dhashclient.h that has a few comments in the public
interface.)

You may want to use NOAUTH blocks, so that the DHash key will
be the SHA-1 of "adrian"; if you use CONTENTHASH blocks,
the DHash key would be the SHA-1 of "ad".

We're working on cooking up a python interface that should
make it easier to write DHash applications but that probably
won't be releasable for a few weeks.

--
Emil Sit / MIT LCS PDOS / http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/