[chord] Re: a question about chord simulator

Ion Stoica istoica at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 28 08:24:06 EST 2004

Shu,

I believe that a trivial bound is that in the absence of leaves and
joins, it
takes the system at most N^2 stabilization iterations to arrive in a state
in which each nodes know its correct successor (after each iteration at
least
one node "improves" it's succesor, and there are N possible nodes in
the network). After that you need only log(N) other stabilization
periods to fix the fingers. David, correct me if I'm wrong.

However, in practice it will take much less time for each node to
learn its correct fingers. One option would be to periodically
check whether all nodes have correct fingers.

Hope this helps,

Ion

PS. For details you may take a look on the Chord TR at:
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/