[chord] Found errors in pseudocode

Stefan Zöls stefan.zoels at tum.de
Thu Feb 26 11:33:59 EST 2004

Dear Sir!

I’ve just read your paper “Chord – A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup
Service for Internet Applications” and I think I found two errors in the
pseudocode in figure 6, page 6.

-          In the method “n.init_finger_table(n’) it should be
if (finger[i + 1].start E [n, finger[i].node ] )
instead of
if (finger[i + 1].start E [n, finger[i].node ) )
because in the text the appropriate condition is “finger[i].node >=
finger[i + 1].start”.

-          In the method „n.update_others()“ it should be
p = find_predecessor(n – 2^(i-1) + 1)
instead of
p = find_predecessor(n – 2^(i-1))
because find_predecessor always returns the last node before the given
id, and in some cases, you need to update the node at the given id.

Sincerely yours,
Stefan Zoels

Stefan Zöls
Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze