[chord] Chord doesn't need NFS but our impl does not support win32

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 21 19:38:29 EDT 2003

Chris,

> and Chord looks like a useful basis for such a thing; however, it
> appears, going by the FAQ, to require NFS - which pretty much means it

Chord, by itself, does not require NFS.  CFS, as described in the
2001 SOSP paper does use NFS to present the read-only file systems,
but that is just a system built on top of Chord.

If you take a look at the how to on the Chord web site, you can
see how to build the basic Chord code.  However, our implementation is
in C++ and is fairly Unix specific.

> can't be used. Is there an open implementation of Chord around that is
> fairly lightweight and which would run on win32? (preferably Java-based)

There are other implementations of Chord; I don't know if any of them
available for Win32 or Java.

--
Emil Sit / MIT LCS PDOS / http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/