[chord] Chord Protocol Semantics

Edward Tsai edwardt at ucla.edu
Thu Dec 4 11:50:01 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

I am implementing the Chord protocol as precisely as I can for a project -

I notice that in your Chord Lookup Service paper, that in figure 6, the join
protocol sets n's predecessor to itself as well as fingers [1 to m-1] to
itself.

In the Chord Lookup Protocol paper, in figure 6, the join pseudo code sets
n's predecessor to NIL and successor to n.

Which protocol semantic should I be following? Is finger[1] the equivalent
to successor in general?

Also, am I correct to assume that in the case of a chord "leave" that a node
will have to send commands to update all theirs?

Thanks.

-Edward