[ASRG] public relations hole in RFID web site

Simson L. Garfinkel simsong at lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jul 7 18:53:31 EDT 2003

Dan,

Your observations are valid based on the picture of RFID that some
people have put forth, but they are not valid based on the version of
RFID that the AutoID center is trying to promote. Here's why:

1. All tags that follow the AutoID center's proposal have both
passwords and a kill-feature.
2. Any retailer that deploys the tags will probably set the passwords
when they are put on the shelves. Otherwise, competitors could come
into the store and inventory the store without the store's permission.
3. All stores will give customers the option of killing tags at
check-out. They may even give consumers the option to change the
password.

Moore's Law is your friend for correlating large databases, but
competition between vendors is not your friend. Given the difficulty we
have witnessed in cooperation on items with much smaller code spaces
(like UPC), I think that the idea that there is a big database of all
RFID codes is very improbable.

-Simson